Monday, August 31, 2009

#18 Scott

I met Scott awhile back. Good guy. Dry-wall is his profession and he, like so many others, has been hit hard by the tough economic times we're all facing. He lives on a small boat docked at a friend's house. It has no power, so he doesn't get to sleep in the summer until 2 or 3 am when it's cooled down a bit. He gets odd jobs and does some volunteer work. But, what a great attitude! He's reading a book by Chuck Swindoll that he picked up at a garage sales and it's bringing him a great deal of joy. He's got his addictions (like all of us!) but he keeps giving them to God and pushing ahead. I spoke to him for a good bit at the OV Beach yesterday after I was done street-reading. I gave him a ride to another part of town and we talked the whole way over. Amidst the tough times, God is blessing him - he is able to spend a lot of time with his family. I look forward to seeing him again!

The beach was hot and sunny and I actually got a little pink on my shoulders. I read some different passages yesterday and continued marking my SR bible - it's almost complete. Except that, probably, it will never be complete. I'm always finding new verses that I want to read - I figure Jesus keeps bringing them to my attention. The first 3 chapters of John and the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew continue to be my staples.

One woman got right up close to me, like she wanted to talk, and when I stopped reading and asked her if she wanted to talk, she said, "No, keep reading." I did and she left with her friend after a few minutes. Hmm . . . I wonder what God is doing in her life. Keep her in your prayers, as I keep her in mine.

September 7th - Labor Day - is my one year anniversary opf street-reading! I can't believe its been a year already! I have one significant goal this year - I actually started August 10th - and that is to street-read at least once a week, hopefully more. I can't wait to see what God has got in store for this ministry in the coming year. I am continually blessed with great energy and a heart for those without Jesus in their lives. Please keep praying for me. Thanks!

No comments: