Monday, August 17, 2009

#16 Jilly Jo, Matthew, Donald and more

Sunday August 16th was the first time back to OV Beach in awhile.  My friend Jillian (Jilly Jo) came to join me and pass out flyers for a new Awana program she is starting at church.  I gave her some Pocket Testaments to hand out as well.  She did a great job!  The day was beautiful - warm and clear. Jillian's sister Jessica and her family spent some time at the beach and joined us later in the day for awhile.  It was fun having friends there to share and talk with!

We got there around 4pm, a little late but still a lot of folks walking around.  As usual, I had been praying since the morning that God would use His Word from my mouth to touch the hearts of those He was calling.  It didn't take long to meet someone He was working on.  We met a homeless man named Donald who, though pretty intoxicated, wanted to change his life and asked us to pray with him.  We did and and gave him a few bucks to eat with.  Following Jesus' lead, we've got to meet the physical needs before even trying to meet the spiritual ones.  My good friend Matthew (whom I met at the beach back in October of 2008) joined us and he prayed for Donald.  Matthew is called by God to preach His word and, I believe, God is moving him in that direction.  A little later I ran into Kevin, a man that I had spoken to about 2 months ago, and he was doing great!  He had lost his job and was out on the streets when I last talked to him - but got a new job and was living with his sister.  Very soon he would have his own place.  He was all smiles and was praising the Lord. He's a testimony to how God looks out for us and provides what we need when we need it - so long as we trust him for it.  What an awesome God we serve!

Well, that's my update for now.  I used the Large print Bible I bought expressly for Street-Reading for the first time today.  I love that large print!  No more squinting!  I am almost finished reading Craig Gross' book 'Jesus Loves You - this I know' and I'll be posting a review and a link to the site where the book can be purchased.  Here's a little tease - it's a phenomonal book!  Inspiring and introspective.  More later.  Thanks for all the prayers.  Please keep praying that God would use my efforts - and those with me - to meet the needs of those He directs us to.  God Bless!

No comments: